Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Inevitable Post Mortem

Hi folks...today's the day the country goes to the polls to elect a new Government and I hope you'll be joining me in casting your vote...we can hardly complain if we don't and a low turnout only reinforces the message that we think they've been getting it right. And just when we think we've seen the end of doorstep callers...postbox leaflets...e-mails...phone calls and the relentless propoganda...we'll have weeks of the inevitable media post mortem...enough to make you want to hibernate. I can't help but think it's not only a new government we need but a whole new system of Government...the old boys' network that is the House of Commons and the House of Lords...a bunch of  "I'm all right Jack" Hooray Henrys that don't live in the real world need to be taken by the scruff of the neck and dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and this may well be the person who will upset their comfortable applecart...
Regardless of where your political allegiance lies...Nicola Sturgeon is a down to earth breath of fresh air modern day politician able to engage with voters and truly believes that the people of this country (and I mean the UK not just Scotland) should be given a voice in how we deal with the problems created by past Governments.
Strange isn't it...how suddenly the 3 main parties are sitting up and taking notice of the millions of voters who are fed up of their failure to address the important issues...now they are falling over themselves...jumping on the bandwagon with promises to address the problems of immigration...the greedy energy companies and the fact that decent honest hardworking folks are struggling to provide for their families and would be better off taking up the scrounger lifestyle and claiming benefits...I suspect they may be trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted...hopefully in the words of Bob Dylan..."Times They Are A-Changing" and they will get the kick up the ass they deserve.
Hugs Kath xxx

12 comments:

  1. Voting is compulsory here in Australia. I hope things get better. Not too good here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope more folk turn out this time.
    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without comment on policies (or lack of them), I have to admit the Politician I currently most admire is Nicola Sturgeon - shame I can't vote for her! I think she has come across as down to earth, knowing what she expects and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I have voted, I think it is our duty, I just wish I could believe it will make a difference when so many others are apathetic and then complain when things go wrong...... I have to admit that this is the first time I have ever 'worried' about the outcome of an election..... we need some positive change... fingers crossed we get it! Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we'll see a huge turnout in Scotland again...I for one am absolutely disgusted at David Cameron's attack on the Scottish people after his crocodile tears insincere plea for us to stay together at the time of the referendum and his failure to keep the promises he made...time to head off and cast my "kick ass" vote xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. go Kath! Can I vote for you? Hugs Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be going out to vote in about 15minutes. For me it's got to be UKIP this time around...and it hurts me as I've been a member of the Labour Party since I was 16, (and I'm now almost 70) time for a big change I think! It's going to be a long night (but hopefully not a night of the long knives. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep we did our bit early this morninhg...I think it should be compulsory to vote....not sure who's going to win this time though....but I do know lots of people who have turned to UKIP.....we shall see
    My hubby will be up all night watching though

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kath, your post could have been written here in the States with a few name changes! When will the Old Guard realize that their constituents are just plain fed up and want some positive improvement? Clinging to their old habits, hopefully, will get them booted out in the cold come election time. Thank you for telling it like it is, no matter where you live.
    And thank you for your daily dose of blogging reality. I wouldn't miss your posts for anything. You are a very, very talented breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree, Kath. And don't forget that the Tories have plans to tax (TAX!!) Disability Living Allowance in a bid to hit their proposed cuts in benefits. Yet again the Tories lash out at the most vulnerable.

    Ain't it a great time to be living and voting in Scotland!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The really important thing is that we should all exercise our right to vote....too many people....in too many countries....don't have that right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kath
    I have said that if I could vote for Nicola Sturgen I would but unfortunately I dont live in Scotland so have voted Plaid Cymruand so has my partner. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete